Born in 1930, Roger Jaffray first sailed as a merchant navy officer on the main French shipping lines from 1948 to 1960. He then served in the administration, and served as administrator of maritime affairs from 1960 to 1988, including fifteen years in the West Indies and Guyana. He has lived in Martinique since 1988, from where he continues to follow the evolution of local maritime life.
The series of works of which he is the author, on behalf of the National Federation of Medalists of Maritime Merit, received a mention from the Académie de Marine in 2018 during its opening ceremony on October 15.
- Martinique's shipping companies since 1930
- Maritime transport in the Guadeloupe archipelago since 1930
- The maritime service of French Guiana since 1930
- Maritime transport in Saint-Barthélemy and Saint-Martin since 1930
- Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, Caribbean cabotage shipowner